It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 pm

Competitive Gaming - Good or Bad?
Poll ended at Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 am
Good 100%  100%  [ 18 ]
Bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:04 am 

Halo In-Game Name: Epsilon
The topic says it all. I'm in charge of all competitions for Halo Combat Evolved/Custom Edition at http://www.FraggedNation.com. FraggedNation is a NPO (non-profit organization) for competitive gaming across all platforms (PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, OnLive).

In the last quarter of 2011, FraggedNation had recently added Halo Combat Evolved to the list of supported games. Since then we have grown from a new game with almost no activity to a battleground for HPT (Halo PC Tournament) and soon to be more.

Currently, for Custom Edition players the Casual Ladders are the only places for battle. We are looking to expand this in the near future, but I'm looking for two major things. One, would the members at RealWorld CE be interested in helping build our community further, and two, what would you like seeing when we implement Custom Edition?

RampantEpsilon
Halo Combat Evolved Game Director

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:38 am 
®ealworld Founder Admin Core

Halo In-Game Name: Harbinge®
Xfire Name: nomates1234
Steam Name: Harbinge®
Discord Name: harbinger#7102
Competitive Gaming is a good thing, after all Halo Multi-Player is by nature Competitive.

Realworld Guild is itself however a Non Competitive Gaming Community centred around Halo Custom Edition, and it's for that One reason why all Realworld Guild Tournaments remain Unofficial, instead being listed in the Guild Members Servers & Service Section. In this sense alone Realworld Guild Community is unique and different to many other Gaming Communities.

Competitiveness of individual Realworld Guild Members is their choice, and does not form a requirement of belonging to the Realworld Guild Community. In point of fact the requisite for Realworld Guild Membership is not based on the ability to play either Halo CE or any Game what-so-ever. Realworld Guild is an Open Community and free for anyone to join.

Primarily Realworld Guild embraces the Spirit, Love and Celebration of Custom Maps combined with collectively playing Halo CE together in Open Friendship rather than who is the better Player, and is why Realworld Guild does not use Ranks to denote any level of Playing Skill.

However Realworld Guild Members are free to join and belong to any Gaming Community they wish with no restriction placed upon their individual Allegiance or choice of Server to play on.

Saying that, anything which increases the Halo CE Player Base is good for Halo CE, although our emphasis is exclusively with Hosting Legal V1.09 Version Servers and promoting the use of Legitimate Keys.

Realworld Guild has a long history coupled with many years experience of Hosting successful Halo CE Servers and embracess Newcomers to the Halo CE Scene.

Members of the Fragged Nation Organisation are most welcome to join Realworld Guild Community and Play Halo CE on Realworld Guild Servers.

Harbinge®
Realworld Guild Founder
Admin Core

- ἐν τούτῳ νίκα: In hoc signo vinces -

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am 

Thank you for the quick response. I understand exactly how your organization is ran and it's a great idea. FraggedNation, as I said in the OP, is home to several games across all major platforms.

I appreciate you giving us permission to join the community here and I want to say this. All RealWorld CE members have the same offer, the community and our Halo servers are open to you guys as well. FraggedNation isn't picky on who joins. Just don't break the rules and nothing will go wrong and from the looks of it the rules are just about the same.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 am 
®ealworlde®

Halo In-Game Name: Penguin
hey your site looks good,
im always a bit suspect of new tournament pages cause over the past years nearly every tournament page goes down cause not enough active players bad admins bad homepage/system.

in my eyes if we want to have a real good tournament maybe euro and usa players together maybe we should reactive clanbase.com
its in my eyes the only system that worked well over years

just my thoughts =)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:13 pm 
Membe®

Halo In-Game Name: Prìme
Xfire Name: primebrah
Steam Name: primebrahh
I'm giving it a try, nothing to lose and there are prizes. :xD:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 pm 

Halo In-Game Name: iNTERFACE
How high are you aiming with this and do you think you will be able attract new players from other games to Halo? Obviously cash incentive/prizes could help with that but it will be difficult to attract players due to halos bad net code and also the lack of a built in anti-cheat or demo recording feature. Not saying it's impossible but those things I feel have been driving people away since day one.

I think broadcasting is a must and also mandatory demo uploading could help show outsiders/newer players the competitive aspects of the game as well as to help eradicate cheating.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:15 pm 
®ealworld Primary Admin

Halo In-Game Name: Sean Aero
Xfire Name: seanaero
I'll pass on this one, for two reasons.

One, I got my own project going on which will partly cover the same thing.

Two, I did this type of system a long time back and the main problem is that the people in this Halo community do not care to submit things manually.
So unless you have an automated system which submits the scores, chances are people will not care about reporting.

Perhaps it might be different when prizes are involved, but I can't be too sure on this.

PS.
If Nova or Sanni, wants to start up a team, feel free to call me and we'll discuss my salary.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 pm 

penguin wrote:
hey your site looks good,
im always a bit suspect of new tournament pages cause over the past years nearly every tournament page goes down cause not enough active players bad admins bad homepage/system.

in my eyes if we want to have a real good tournament maybe euro and usa players together maybe we should reactive clanbase.com
its in my eyes the only system that worked well over years

just my thoughts =)

That's not an issues with FraggedNation the staff is hand picked and are not allowed to just make changes on their own. Changes are to go through the community. So therefore, the players make the call we just give them a place to play.

Inter` wrote:
How high are you aiming with this and do you think you will be able attract new players from other games to Halo? Obviously cash incentive/prizes could help with that but it will be difficult to attract players due to halos bad net code and also the lack of a built in anti-cheat or demo recording feature. Not saying it's impossible but those things I feel have been driving people away since day one.

I think broadcasting is a must and also mandatory demo uploading could help show outsiders/newer players the competitive aspects of the game as well as to help eradicate cheating.

We're aiming as high as we can. You're right about the lack of a built in anti-cheat and recording. However, Xfire has a recorder as well as other freeware programs. Also, Halo Anti-Cheat for Halo PC helps with the anti-cheat issue. I understand that somethings can be bypassed, but I'm uncertain of the extent.

We're also working on mandatory recording/streaming to the FraggedNation Twitch.tv account.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 pm 

Halo In-Game Name: Nasser
Xfire Name: skyiron
Sean Aero wrote:
Two, I did this type of system a long time back and the main problem is that the people in this Halo community do not care to submit things manually.
So unless you have an automated system which submits the scores, chances are people will not care about reporting.

Ah It didn't occur to me that your system could be used in this way to automatically submit match reports so players don't have to keep uploading results in competitive games. I just thought it was for those public players who want to see their stats etc.. :| Could your system be used to replace match reporting? an example would be the reporting that the HPT community uses.

I feel Inter has concisely summed up why it will be such an uphill struggle. You should bear in mind the player base on the euro side of things is even smaller compared to the combination of the American, Mexican and Colombian players you've already met. Post your halo petition here as well, I'm sure some of the members here can offer advice.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:21 pm 
Classicworlde®

Halo In-Game Name: Topsi
Xfire Name: xxegelitexx
Bypassing HAC is too easy (or so I've been told...never really played HPT).
Recording is no option for many players including me, due to bad hardware.

Will there be european tournaments? How are you gonna handle ping matters? I liked the idea of multiple local ladders with international playoffs.
I'm curious.

And someone just linked me to this:
http://www.livestream.com/fnlive/video?clipId=pla_9f4cd589-546a-4644-b94d-f85a19c4cc95&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
Looks professional. :o :eek: :eh: :lol: :xD: :thumbs:

Last edited by Topsi on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile